04 April 2012

Wake Up Call

You know, it's so easy to feel like you have all your ducks in a row. And it can be a really rude awakening when reality slaps you in the face with a harsh wake up call.

As a prepper, I've always planned on "bugging in." That means I don't plan on leaving my carefully prepared, stocked and defended home. I'm comfortable with my chances of riding out any problem here. In the back of my mind I've occasionally thought about the need for a bug out plan, but I kept putting it off. My family's documents stayed in my desk, the bag in my car didn't have changes of clothes or enough water for more than a day. I hadn't even restocked the baby's diaper bag.

There was really no hurry. My home was my castle and it was well prepared for anything. Except for yesterday.

The kids were at their Daddy's Day Out program at church, Sweetheart was on back to back conference calls in her office, and I was happily enjoying the peace and quite and surfing the internet. Then the sirens went off. And the phone rang with a call from the city's auto warning system. And the weather radio started blaring.

Normally, that's not such a big deal. It's spring time in Texas. We have thunderstorms, we get weather alerts. But yesterday, the metroplex was hit by a tornadic cluster. Yesterday, the warnings were worrisome. Yesterday was the first time in as long as I can remember that I said get to the safe room now! And yesterday was the first time I realized that the safe room wasn't really prepared. There was no flashlight, no radio, no water, no tools for possibly digging out of the rubble, no protective gear, no nothing. We scurried around like sheeple as we gathered up the basics and squeezed ourselves into the most central room of the house. And we listened as the weather service said there was a tornado coming straight towards our home. And we prayed.

Praise God, we didn't get hit. Our home is intact, our children were safe in the concrete building at church and I am alive and well and able to feel foolish.

After the storm line passed us, we sat and watched as the metroplex was pounded. Tornadoes hit all over the place. The freight yard I worked out of when I was a truck driver was torn to pieces. The trailers I once hauled were thrown into each other and into nearby homes. People were left homeless after cars were thrown into their houses.

It was a sobering afternoon.

Complacency has a way of settling in when life is very comfortable. Apparently, my life has been very comfortable of late. Thankfully, this wake up call was not damaging to us, as it very well could have been. Sweetheart and I put together a bag while we watched the news and it's now in position, ready to go, and will be improved over the next few days. It's uncomfortable for me to face the reality that my castle is not indestructible, but face it I will. This Daddy has had his complacency shaken out of him. Thank God!