14 May 2012

My Quest for Immortality

Yep! I want to live forever.

Well, at least in the memory of my children and future grandchildren. One of my earliest, and favorite, memories is of getting a hug from my PaPa. I can still feel the stubble of his 5 o'clock shadow, and I can still smell him. He smelled like a blend of aftershave and tobacco. That was the smell of solidity; of joy; of fishing trips; of watching cartoons on a lazy summer morning; of  manliness. It's been about 30 years since he passed on, and I can still smell him and remember the best days of my childhood.

When Sweetheart was pregnant with my Princess, I realized that I wanted a personal memory trigger for my progeny. But everything I used was unscented, and I don't wear cologne. So I began a search for immortality.

Sweetheart has been tickled half to death. She thinks I'm crazy. But she just doesn't understand. It's a man thing.

I didn't realize the search would last three years. I didn't realize I would have to make fundamental changes in my life. But, unlike poor Jaun Ponce de Leon, I succeeded. I am immortal!

And it's mostly thanks to the folks over at The Art of Manliness. I love that blog. Allow me to explain.

You see, I have a very sensitive face. Extraordinarily handsome, of course (Sweetheart thinks so!), but sensitive nonetheless. I was a trucker until Princess was almost 1, and I didn't have to worry about shaving every day. When I came in off the road and began to work at home, and then transitioned to SAHD, I started shaving every day (well, now, not quite every day), and my face was torn up. I was always in pain, no matter what I tried. So, being a researcher, I started researching. And soon stumbled across AoM. They did a post on shaving like your grandpa, and that got me started. I stopped looking for new-fangled stuff that promised a smooth, irritation-free shave with four or five blades. I started looking for the old stuff. The stuff PaPa would have used. And after a little trial and error, I found a great, pain-free shave. And achieved immortality in the mix!

I threw away the cartridge razors and bought a Merkur HD 34C safety razor, some Taylor of Old Bond Street Almond Shaving Cream in a Bowl, a good shaving brush, and, most importantly, Clubman Pinaud After Shave Lotion. The Clubman is the key. That's the scent my little Princess says smells so good when she runs over to give me a hug. And, also important, that's the scent my Sweetheart nuzzles my neck to enjoy. That's also the scent that got me in trouble when I came out of the local Eyemasters grinning because four women were taking some serious interest in my smell while I picked up my new glasses. It got me in trouble because Sweetheart was waiting in the car. Six years and I had no idea she could be so jealous! Talk about an ego booster!


Now, Sweetheart enjoys sitting in the bathroom so she can watch me shave. Says it's sexy! Who would have thought. The old fellers had it right! We tried to improve on something that didn't need improving and just managed to screw it up. And thanks to PaPa, I've become as immortal as he is.