10 June 2012

I'm Baaaack!

I've been unable to regularly blog for a bit, but I'm finally starting to feel normal again. Praise God! I have a new neurologist, who (amazingly) explained that I have been having complex partial seizures since I was at least 17. I had no idea! I thought everyone had episodes of lost time, weird smells, dizziness, vertigo and other general unpleasantness. That's a little bit of an oversimplification, but you get the point. I had a serious bout of Spotted Fever when I was in high school and no one told me that it would probably cause the onset of seizures. And on top of that, my brain's sleep patterns are wired wrong. Hence my chronic insomnia.

So let's just say it's been an enlightening time. The good doctor increased my Keppra dosage and added something for breakthrough migraines, which he believes are caused by the seizures, and changed my sleepy meds. The results have been astounding. Add to that the blessing of my wonderful in-laws, who took the kids for a long weekend, and I'm feeling pretty doggone good right now. I don't remember the last time I had three uninterrupted nights of sleep. And Sweetheart drove (oh, I miss driving!!!) us out to the mall so we could wander around comfortably (with lots of benches in case I fell over, I'm sure), and even out to the steak house for as leisurely dinner. We relaxed, watched TV, umm...I'll stop there. For three days!

Sweetheart watches me like a hawk, and yesterday she was able to finally say she could see significant improvement in my seizure activity. Praise God!

I still have six(ish) months before I can legally drive, but I've been planning out activities for the next few months based around Sweetheart's schedule to compensate.

All in all, it's been a life-changing time. Learning to live with a disability is going to be challenging, but with the help, love and prayers of my family, I'll learn. And I'm feeling up to the challenge. Praise God!