20 July 2012

9 Days to Go

Well, there are only 9 days until my 40th birthday. It snuck up on me. I can't believe I am actually about to hit middle age. So I figured I would ramble on each day and see what it's like as I approach the halfway point in my life.


Now that right there is kind of funny. I know that I am getting older, but in many ways, it feels like my life is just beginning. I was a confirmed bachelor until I met the most amazing woman in the world almost seven years ago. I thought I had it all. I was an OTR trucker, free and happy. I rarely slept in the same place twice. I just roamed around enjoying life.


Or so I thought.


Then one day I met my Sweetheart, and about six weeks later, she agreed to be my wife. It was great. She traveled as well. We had a rather enjoyable lifestyle. Vacations in Mexico; trips whenever we wanted; meeting up on the road when we could. But the flip side of this carefree lifestyle was that we only saw each other about a week out of every month. And there was also something else missing. The proverbial pitter-patter of little feet.


Now, I'll grant you, my little Princess running around upstairs sounds more like a herd of elephants in full stampede, but she fills that pitter-pattering role pretty well. She came along, round about 10 months after our last trip to Mexico actually, and changed our life forever. I soon sold my truck and began working locally. Then Little Man came along and the decision to be a SAHD became an easy one. Especially after Sweetheart told me there was NO WAY I was going back on the road and leaving her to change all those diapers herself!


And that's really why I feel like my life is just beginning, regardless of how old my body says it is. It seems like everything that came before I became a husband and father is just a vague memory of a long prologue. I may be 40, and my body may feel it, but when it comes down to it, I'm really a young Daddy having a blast.