26 August 2012

Great Firsts

Gotta warn ya in advance, I'm a big old teddy bear sentimentalist, so if you're a big old macho Dad, or if you have no daughters, stop here. It gets sappy.

Wow! Ya know, sometimes being a Daddy is purely overwhelming. And I love being overwhelmed by these little angels.

Today, as I was baking some bread and Princess was making special play dough bread, a very special song came on. Well, at least it's special to me. The Statler Brothers song "Do You Know You Are My Sunshine." I love this song! And I said so. Which, of course, meant I had to explain to my little font of questions why.

So I told her a story of MY sunshine. I told her of a day long ago. A day before she was born. I told her of a day when I had met a beautiful woman and was taking her for a walk through a sunlit park. I told her of how, as I asked the beautiful woman a question, she turned to me with the prettiest smile and the most enticing laugh. Her eyes twinkled with merriment and the Texas sun was dancing across her hair. And in that moment, I knew the beautiful woman was the only woman I would ever love. That was the moment I knew her Mommy would always be the Sunshine of my life.

Then I told her of how Mommy and I both traveled for our jobs back then, and how I would drive all across the country - all the way, thinking of my Sunshine. And whenever that song would come on the radio, I would remember the day I first met her and how amazing it was.

My little Princess looked at me with a contemplative smile before asking a thousand more questions and, I thought, forgetting my story. Such is the way with children.

A few hours later, I was relaxing for a few minutes between chores, watching her play with her dolls, when she turned to me suddenly and knocked me to my knees. She wrapped me around her finger for life in a way that only a daughter can when she smiled and asked, "Daddy, when I grow up, will you marry me and be my sunshine?"

Wow! I've heard it in movies and on TV. I've read it in books and always thought it was cute. I had no idea how emotional I would get when my own daughter asked it of me. She's growing up so fast. And she's so much like her Mommy. She's going to make some lucky young man a wonderful wife some day.

But not until she's at least 30.