15 November 2012

My Turn

For almost all of my son's life, he has been Mommy's Little Man. He didn't want much from me, and I could understand that. After all, I couldn't compete with the booby.

Ah, but in the last few weeks a shift has occurred. The universe has changed, and it is good.

I now finally have my Daddy's boy. My Mini-Me. My shadow.

Ah, life is good.

Sweetheart tried to put him to bed just now and he grabbed his blanket, jumped off her lap and ran around searching, singing "Dada, Dada, Dada." She seemed incensed, but I could hear the smile in her voice. I took him to his room, patted his back and he smiled and drifted right off.

I exercise, and he's there beside me, holding my hand so he can match my stride. I play tennis on the wii and he has to have a remote, too. I shave and he "shaves" with a little Taylor Almond Cream from Daddy's bowl, and a few blade less strokes from Daddy's razor. And he absolutely refuses to leave the house without a tiny touch of my Clubman aftershave, so he can smell like Daddy.

I don't know how long it will last. Someday he may jump back to Mommy for a bit. But for now, he's MY shadow, and life is good.