16 June 2013

I Have a Five Year Old Teenager

Seriously, I do.

Today was a great day. We went to the aquarium in Grapevine and had a lot of fun. Of course, a the day marched on, so too did the fatigue of my napless little ones. I wasn't too worried about it, but I figured it might make bedtime dramatic. As usual, I was correct.

It was kind of my fault though. I walked into the oldest one's bedroom and was almost blinded by light. See, Princess has gradually accumulated an overly abundant collection of lights in her room over the last year or so. She squirrels stuff away and it's gotten crazy. Tonight I had to make a change. She had a string of Christmas lights (so much for storing the Christmas decorations in her closet) blinking away in a pile on her floor and I decided it was time for them to go. I took them out, leaving her with only a night lite, the hall light and an eight foot long string of LED butterflies.

Oh, the drama! The tears fell until she started that hicupping,  stuttering whimper,  which I'm pretty sure is her secret weapon of last resort. Her near unbeatable method for getting me to back down.

Or so she thinks.

I stood my ground and put her to bed.

And then I heard it, as I walked down the stairs.

"Why (sob) does life (hiccup) have to be so hard? Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!"

What the...?

When did five become the new 15?