27 May 2014

Hello Again

Well, it's been nigh on a year since I last wrote anything at all, and Sweetheart keeps poking and prodding, telling me I need to put pen to paper again. Or is that thumb to touchscreen? Hm, not quite as catchy. In any case, she thinks I should start writing again, and I figured I'd see if I couldn't humor her a bit.

Well, you may have surmised from the quietness of these here empty kilobyte corridors that it was an uneventful year. Oh my goodness, how wrong you would be. This last 11 months went by in a blur of activity.  I won't bore you with all the details - I do have a reputation for brevity, after all. Suffice to say the kids are growing like weeds and running rings around their daddy. But that's the way it should be, so all is right with the world.

Except for today. Today, I'm being assaulted by an all too familiar foe. Today, I'm sitting here looking at my wonderful, enormous plasma TV, as it hangs on the wall. Wondering if capital punishment is OK for electronics. And wondering if Sweetheart would shoot me if I shot the TV.

Or maybe I should just get online and cancel Netflix. But no, I can't do that, since Sweetheart enjoys the holiday movies she gets on it.

No, I'll have to best the torture with stoic strength. It is my own fault I suppose. I'm the fool who sat down with my coffee, thinking I could simply turn on some music and enjoy the last cup of the day before getting to work.

When I was getting the remote, Little Man said, "I pick, Daddy?"

So innocent. So sweet. I had no idea my dear son had developed such cunning. So of course I said yes.

He immediately pointed to the colorful tile on the Netflix menu with the creepy dragon and I cringed inside.

"NO!"

It hasn't been long enough. I can't handle it again. I can already feel brain cells dying as drool begins to form at the corner of my mouth. The world is glazing over as my eyes go glassy...

words swirl through my mind without cease...

"The wheels on the bus go round..."