29 June 2014

As sands in the hour glass...

so are the days of my apparently too doggone long to be remembered correctly life!

Is it just me, or are there other dads out the who see something on the store shelf and think to themselves, "Oh wow! I loved that when I was a kid. I'll share it with my little ones." Only to find out later - as in much too late, later - that our memories of our childhood are slightly off?

I shot myself in the foot with this last one. It started so simply. We were walking through Michael's and saw a bunch of children's books on a shelf. And there was Peter Pan. Hey, think I, my kids love Hair and Tinkerbell! That will make a great snuggle time reading book. I remembered it clearly from my childhood...clean, kid-friendly, fun and happy. A great read for my precious darlings.

My precious little darlings who had never heard of murder or stabbings or crocodiles eating men whole while others are drowned or poisoned.

Good grief! Either I'm senile or they've rewritten the classics. I sure don't remember the volume of violence and death in the book. But then again, I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, so I suppose senility is definitely an option. My daughter, however, is as sharp as Pan's bloody sword. I tried to speed through the initial fight scenes, and when I realized how bad it would get, I tried to put it aside. The mutineers rose up against me and forced me to read more.

It used to be easy to change up a book, too. You know, skip forward past a bit you didn't want to read. Like that whole fight in chapter 14 filled with one death screech after another. Nope, she caught me every time.

I know I can't keep them in a bubble forever, and I may be too overprotective, but doggone it, I think I'm going to stick with the good Dr. for awhile longer.