14 July 2014

Falling Water

I love being a parent. Of all the things I love about being Daddy though, there are a few special types of moments that I absolutely live for. The laughter which runs in my ears as I'm dancing with my little girl; seeing the goofy, sleepy grin on my son's face as he stumbles down the stairs in the morning, sees me and breaks into a run for my first hug of the day; family movie nights cuddled up on the couch with pretty much everyone except the dog piled onto my lap to get comfy. Glorious moments all. But right up there near the top are those candid, hilarious moments which illustrate beyond a show of a doubt that you are indeed the parents of small children.

Like when you sit down to eat and as your beloved spouse prays a blessing over the meal you hear, "... and thank you, Father, for this much needed and welcomed, um, water falling from the sky..." It takes a precocious preschooler to make an intelligent adult forget the name of rain. And the love of a parent to be able to laugh about it.